Liven up your holiday table with this fun and easy family craft!
Make a Pop-up Turkey from MicheLee Puppets on Vimeo.
The perfect, surprise table-setting or greeting card AND it’s easy to store. PLUS it’s a great lesson in symmetry.
You will need:
1 file folder
markers/crayons (for additional decoration)
a glue stick or double stick tape,
construction paper (we chose yellow, orange and red)
NOTE: Recommended as a family activity. When working together this activity only takes 15-30 minutes. If you prefer to decorate further, it may extend your time.
Cut Out Your Pieces
File Folder: Trim your file folder to create straight edges. Then cut a 3″ strip off of the bottom of your file folder.
Construction Paper: Cut and fold the construction paper as shown to create turkey feather hearts and a body (be sure to cut from the fold).
- For larger heart shapes, fold the paper twice, for smaller shapes fold your paper 3 or 4 times.
- You may choose to draw 1/2 of a heart on the paper, or simply cut
1. Glue or tape your hearts to the 3″ file folder strip. Be sure to arrange so that there is a straight edge at the bottom.
2. Glue your turkey body on to the fold of your strip (as shown)
3. Cut off any excess as necessary. NOTE: It is best to decorate before attaching your turkey to your card.
Attach your Turkey
1. Open up your decorated 3″ strip and the remainder of your file folder.
2. Place the strip at an angle (as shown), matching the folds together.
3.Place 2 masking tape strips (approx. 3″ long) on the back of the decorated strip. (as shown).
4. Fold your strip so that the sticky part of the tape is facing up, then close your card and press down to stick. Adjust as necessary for the perfect pop-up.
Add a name to the front or simply color a design. Then post pictures of your turkeys and tag us on Facebook and Instagram @MicheLeePuppets.
For more MicheLee Puppets Fun:
Check out our Videos
Book a Show at your school or venue