Re-purpose your used gift boxes to make your own show with just scissors and tape! Use construction paper, magazines, old cards, and mailers to add scenery and puppets, then put on a show! When you’re done, everything fits inside your box stage for easy storage.
- 1 gift box (top and bottom)
- Masking Tape
- Glue stick
- Construction paper/old magazines or mailers
- Pipe cleaners
- Small cup to trace.
- Separate the top and bottom of your gift box.
- Hold the top of the box so that it is wider than it is tall (horizontal). Fold it in 1/2, then cut on the folded line as shown in video
- Put the 2 pieces of the top back on the bottom box
- Tape edges, creating a hinge (as shown)
- Lift your box so the the bottom faces the audience (it will stand up on its edge)
Make Curtains and Scenery:
- Use construction paper, old magazines, mailers, cards, etc. to design your scenery.
- Trace your box onto a piece of construction paper or magazine clipping, then trim off excess.
- For curtains, cut paper in 1/2 then decorate
- For Scenery keep the piece whole.
- Add a pipe cleaner to the back of each piece of paper, taping it into a loop as shown.
- Bend pipe cleaner to become a hook, then hang on your stage
- Draw characters on paper. Tip: Use both ends of a small cup to trace circles of different sizes. Turn cup sideways to create characters with a long snout.
- Create multi-media collage characters, combining images from magazines, mailers or cards with drawn pieces.
- Add a pipe cleaner to the back of your puppet, taping it in place.
- Add a small loop to the top of the pipe cleaner to make it easier to grip when performing
Put on a show and have fun!