A few simple steps bring this rod puppet to life! Go from Egg to Larva (even Pupa) with this fun, fuzzy puppet-making activity. The perfect, hands-on way to teach the life cycle of a butterfly!
Want to complete the cycle? Make a colorful “Stained Glass” Shadow Puppet Butterfly here: https://youtu.be/EuLumvoQVWg
Follow along to our “DIY From Egg to Caterpillar” Video with these written instructions below:
- 2 Skewers
- 1 Plastic Egg (that separates top and bottom)
- Sand Paper
- Maribou Feather boa
- Hot Glue Gun (keep a small cup of water close by to dip fingers in, in case of drips. It will eliminate burns)
- Cut a 5-7 inch piece of feather boa
- Sand the skewers until the tips are flattened.
- Drill 2 holes in each egg piece, just large enough to insert the end of a skewer. The skewer tip should just slightly poke out of the egg.
- Glue the skewers in place on both egg pieces
- Glue each end of the boa to an egg pice, hiding the skewer in the eggs.
- Hold the ends of the skewers (1 in each hand) and Perform! Tap each skewer on the table to make your puppet dance, slide your hands far away and close together to make your caterpillar “inch.”