With so many pedestrians making their way back to school, drivers are warned to be extra cautious, but empowering your pedestrian to know the rules of the road can keep them from entering a dangerous situation. In the United States, Florida contains the TOP FOUR most dangerous metropolitan areas for walking. Recognizing that safe practices begin with knowledge, The Florida Department of Health in Volusia County and MicheLee Puppets (with funding from Florida Department of Transportation and Safe Routes to Schools) have created “Walk to School: Safe is Cool” a series of educationally entertaining videos that empower pedestrians to understand the rules of the road. Knowledge is power! Share these tips with your pedestrian and empower them to stay safe!
1. Cross at the corner, or in a crosswalk. Before crossing, look left, then right, then left again
2. Make eye contact with the driver before crossing in front of a car.
3. Walk on the sidewalk, out of traffic.
4. Beware the edges!
Car mirrors and more make unsafe conditions for these pedestrians (and their ice cream)
5. Wear items that are bright and easy to see.
Who will be crowned “Miss Be Se Queen”?
6. Stop, wait for the Walk signal, then go.
Rock out before you walk out…into the road.